Spring is almost here, which means it’s time to start thinking about spring cleaning. Have you ever tried on an article of clothing and thought, “What was I thinking?” If so, it’s time to let it go. If your closet is full of clothes you never wear, it’s time for a serious purge. But don’t worry, we’re here to help! Are you feeling overwhelmed by the thought of going through your closet? If so, you’re not alone. Is your closet in need of a serious makeover? Do you have clothes that you haven’t worn in years, or that no longer fit? If so, the time is now to clean! But where do you start? And how do you avoid making a mess of things? Many people dread the idea of going through their clothes and getting rid of things they no longer need or wear. However, spring cleaning doesn’t have to be a dreaded chore. In fact, it can be a fun and therapeutic process! Not only will it make you feel better, but it’ll also make looking for clothes easier. It’s time to get rid of items you don’t wear, focus on the classics that never go out of style and welcome fresh new pieces into your closet. Before you begin, take some time to consider what clothes you actually wear and which ones you no longer need.
From first hand experience as a fashion merchandiser at Bloomingdales in my early 20’s, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. In this blog post, we’ll give you some tips on how to spring clean your closet effectively. We’ll tell you what to keep and what to get rid of, how to organize your clothes, and how to have fun with your fashion. So what are you waiting for? Get started on your spring cleaning today!
Tips for spring cleaning your closet like a pro:
1. Do a purge before you start cleaning- This is a perfect opportunity to discard clothes you don’t need and find a new home for those items that are still in wearable condition. Once you’ve decided what’s staying and what’s going, you can start to organize what’s left. Take everything out of your closet and sort it into three piles: keep, donate, and trash.
2. Donate what you don’t need- Clothing that doesn’t fit or that you haven’t worn in years can be donated to a local charity or thrift store. If you’re a business owner this can be a great tax write off.
3. Empty your closet completely- Yes, everything! In some cases this is a must. Dump in the trash and start from scratch. In an effort to rebuild your wardrobe, agree to purchase 1 new item every paycheck until your closet is full again. Look for items that will go with items you already have, or pieces that will be flexible additions. Focus on basics – classic silhouettes, quality materials and timeless colors are always a safe bet. Also, be on the lookout for trends that will refresh your look while still being comfortable and suit your body shape. Don’t be afraid to experiment and take risks with your style. You can always pick up key pieces that you can layer or pair with existing pieces for a fashion-forward look.
4. Don’t forget to dust and vacuum- Get your space nice and clean with these actions. It makes a world of difference, Trust!
5. Sort your clothes by type- Doing so can help you get ready faster and more efficiently. Try pairing similar items (i.e. skirts, blouses, jeans) together or similar clothing groups ( ie. Business attire, workout attire, casual everyday wear) into categories. Hang your clothes in a way that’s easy to see and access. This can help you stay organized and ensure you get the most out of your wardrobe. Wash and iron anything that needs to be refreshed and hang whatever you can. Things like sweaters and t-shirts can be folded neatly and placed in drawers.
6. Don’t overthink it- Avoid staring at an object for too long. Whatever decision pops in your head in the first few seconds at first glance is the decision to go with.
7. Organize your clothes by color- Considered as another method to help you get ready faster and more efficiently. You can also switch out hangers to give your wardrobe a different touch . A bonus, depending how you “Merch” it can be even more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
8. Invest in new storage solutions- Target and Amazon is our friend y’all. They have numerous options for storage. If you’re feeling a little fancy and want coordination give Wayfair a shot.
9. Put everything back in your closet in an organized way- Don’t get lazy! You’re practically at the finish line. Be careful and conscious of where you’re placing your items for a great workflow for when you get dressed.
10. Enjoy your clean and organized closet- Maintain your efforts with occasional checkins every now and again. Remember to put things back where you found them when not in use! Once you’ve got your closet organized, you can start to personalize it. Another great idea is to take pictures of your outfits and upload them to a digital outfit planner. This way, you can easily see what items match and what clothes you can wear together. Plus, it’ll make getting dressed in the morning a lot easier.
Letting go of clothes can be hard, after all, they are linked with memories and moments in our lives.- but it's worth it! However, if you haven’t worn them in ages, it’s time to part ways so they can be used by someone else. So go ahead and take some time to declutter and refresh your wardrobe. With some focus, effort and creativity, you can turn your wardrobe into one that works for you.